Friday, September 3, 2010

Aaron Radelow - Modern Marquetry Master


Aaron demonstrates traditional marquetry cutting with the 'Chevalet'
Aaron K. Radelow has dedicated himself to becoming one of the most dynamic and versatile custom furniture makers in America today. For the past fifteen years, Aaron has been hand producing original designs and masterful re-creations in his native San Diego, California. The outsourcing of process steps, such as metalwork is limited to ensure that the style and method of design and construction is held to the very highest standards of quality - an aspect of his ethic that establishes him not only as a master craftsman, but also as an artist.
(Excerpted from the Aaron Radelow Custom Wood Design website - kd)











"If the day ever comes when my work may be categorized, that will be the day I start in search of something more challenging, for my ultimate goal is to be constantly evolving as an artist and by so doing bringing life to unique and emotive creations."




Aaron's Louis XIV Reading and Writing Tables surround the original in the Getty Museum
(Click on image for picture viewer)




 "To end up with a finished, polished piece of furniture, is, ah, how can I put it?" Radelow says, "Intense."

 
  Blue and White Reading and Writing Table  
              (Click on image for picture viewer)                       





Here's a bit of information regarding Aaron Radelow:

Ligné Agency is honored to announce the addition of Aaron Radelow, a craftsman who specializes in wood work and inlay that has not been seen since the days of Boulle and Pierre Gole.  His work is nothing less than museum quality, handcrafted in the finest materials.  His work spans from antique restoration to full commissioned cabinets and writing desks.  Most notable are his Louis XIV writing tables that were created based on an original currently located in the Getty Museum.
Posted by Meredith Xavier, principal at Ligne Agency, on Wednesday, June 30, 2010.



Cube marquetry from Aaron's Contemporary Collection
(Click on image for picture viewer)


Here are a few more images from Aaron's portfolio:


Louis XIV Reading and Writing Tables: Partye and contre-partye
(Click on image for picture viewer)




A Reproduction of Boulle's Marquetry Lion:


Aaron's reproduction of Boulle's Marquetry Lion
(Click on image for picture viewer)

5 comments:

  1. I discovered your site today by my Google Alerts. Very interesting what I saw. I have attached photos of my most valuable pieces. You can view more on the website listed below.
    I'm glad to find ANYONE publicizing the decorative art we do.
    How long has your site been up, and what has been the response?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron: It's great to hear from you. You're definitely on my list of top marquetry artists to feature and follow on my blog. I saw the article on your piece - I think it was Fine Woodworking.
    My purpose has to do with promoting the marquetry and inlay arts because they are the best kept secret of the decorative arts.
    I believe that key decision makers at architectural and design firms and other design 'influentials' need to know about the remarkable quality and lasting beauty of the artwork being done today.
    If they were made aware, they would no doubt make greater use of it than they do now. The same goes for clients who appreciate this level of culture and refinement. Of course this is no easy task, which is why it is important for those who love these art forms to work together to send a clear signal. Otherwise we all get drowned out by the noise and static.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaron: You should post your carving of the queen-sized headboard you did for me. The carving is exquisite.

    Best,
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been reading through the posts on your site and really enjoy seeing so many of the great marquetry and inlay artists whose work I've admired for years. There are a couple more makers I'm sure you're familiar with (but in case you're not) that could be worthwhile additions to your list of artists. Let me know if you'd like more info.
    I noticed the post on Aarons tables, they are quite magnificent. I had a chance to see the work in progress several years ago when he had just begun working with the cow horn and machining the brass. It's quite a project.
    Keep up the great work,
    Craig Thibodeau

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Craig,
    Thanks for your encouraging comments. A good part of my motivation for doing this blog and the related website (www.MiArtStudio.com) flows from my enjoyment of and admiration for the artists who practice the marquetry and inlay arts at such a high level of excellence.
    I've come to know many of them and am impressed by their talent, skill craft, communities of practice, interesting stories and colorful personalities.
    I've been admiring the progress of your career and I'm delighted that you've discovered the MiArtStudio blog.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

You are welcome to make comments and participate in making this blog valuable!