Tuesday, June 1, 2010

David J. Marks - Marquetry Innovator and Teacher

David J. Marks Designer Craftsman 

David J. Marks





















Artist's Statement
 "My work expresses a sense of time and mystery. My inspiration is derived from a fusion of styles including ancient Egyptian, African, Art Nouveau, Art Deco and Asian. But essential to all my designs is the attention I pay to fine details.
 After studying art at Cabrillo College in Santa Cruz, I moved to Santa Rosa and began working in cabinet and furniture shops during the 1970s. In 1981, I opened my own Santa Rosa studio and built one-of-a-kind furniture throughout the 1980s. In the 90s, my focus shifted towards wood turning and sculpture."Today, besides my continued work in fine woodworking, I am interested in 
 patination.The patina finish that is a trademark of my work, is a hybrid I’ve developed over the last decade. It combines painting, gilding (metal leafing), chemical patinas, and lacquering techniques. The complex layers result in something that gives the appearance of a faux, ancient, petrified stone quality."

Sculptural Inlay Art

Designer Craftsman Newsletter 

Dave's newsletter will give you his latest updates, videos and coming attractions...

David's latest sculpture in progress:

Sculptural Inlay Art


David's profile at www.finewoodworking.com 
Thanks to his television show "Wood Works" on the DIY network, David Marks is recognized around the world. He began building furniture in 1981 out of his Santa Rosa, Calif., studio, but in the 1990s shifted his focus to wood turning and sculpture. Among his many achievements are two NICHE Awards in 2001 for excellence in his craft. Besides teaching classes, he has produced two DVDs: "Gilding and Chemical Patinations" and "Jigs and Fixtures for Curvilinear Woodworking."

Photo of David Marks above is from www.thewoodwhisperer.com

www.DJmarks.com Website

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to make comments and participate in making this blog valuable!