Tuesday, April 20, 2010

William Tunberg - Fine Artist and Creator of Marquetry Sculpture

Creating Marquetry Sculpture 

Five Thoughts 
Marquetry, 2007 
Total area: 91 x 22 x 5 in.
"In creating marquetry sculpture, I call upon my lifelong love of assemblage and classical drawing. My materials are exotic natural and dyed veneers that I fragment, assemble, and reassemble, and ultimately laminate over complex sculptural forms of my own devising. I consider the resulting imagery as personal narratives expressed in my own language and mode of communication.
Except for its logistical complexities, my use of this classical technique has little in common with traditional marquetry. As far as I know, marquetry has never before been used in contemporary sculpture. Though the process demands precision and focus, and is fraught with difficulty and frustration, the results are worth all the effort. To my eye, marquetry is unrivaled for sheer beauty, expressiveness, and visual drama."
Quoted from William Tunberg's introduction to his web site
from the section where he explains about his marquetry sculpture


























Phoenix
Marquetry
26 x 16 x 5 in.

William Tunberg's academic background is similar to Silas Kopf's in that he first studied Architecture and was drawn into woodworking by way of Sculpture. He received his B.F.A., cum laude, in Architecture in 1964, followed by an M.F.A. in Sculpture in 1965, both from the University of Southern California.































William Tunberg
"When I was 7 or 8 years old, I became fascinated with copying postage stamps. At about 11 or 12, I started copying art work that I found in magazines. My favorite artists at that time were de Chirico, Picasso, and Magritte. Influenced by these masters, I started painting original landscapes of the surrounding areas in Oregon where I lived. However, once I saw my first Ingres, my love for drawing the human form became an irrepressible force in my life.







1 comment:

You are welcome to make comments and participate in making this blog valuable!