Saturday, March 27, 2010

Marquetry and inlay ripple effects

Each experience, and post, creates a ripple effect of ideas and associations. I'll reflect on some of these via smaller posts. I'm eager to introduce you to leading artists, collectors and others involved in the inlay arts. I want to tell you about what interests me and learn what interests you. We'll have to be patient and let this process take its course.

M.C. Escher


A Few Thoughts...

I'll have to learn the blogging ropes. I'm using images and quotes from other blogs and sites in my enthusiasm to show you what inspires me. I'll attribute and link to all of these sources so that you can enjoy them as well. I'll also double check my information for accuracy. If I make mistakes, please let me know at Kim@MiArtStudio.com and I'll correct them right away.
I enjoy these wonderful art forms and the highly skilled artists and designers who've mastered them. I hope that you will as well! - kd



BTW - M. C. Escher designed for marquetry as well. 

Escher's Marquetry in Leiden
Condensed from biography written by Bruno Ernst for the book M.C. Escher - His Life and Complete Graphic Work, © 1981, with some material from original essays by M.C. Escher: In May 1940, the Nazi army invaded Holland and Belgium; Brussels and its suburbs were occupied on the 17th. At the end of May, Escher's mother died.
Due to the invasion, he missed her funeral at The Hague.




















Leiden Town Hall Commission

Escher spent the rest of 1940 settling his mother's affairs, and executing a commission to decorate the town hall of Leiden. He and Jetta found a house in Baarn, Holland, and moved there in February of 1941.


Escher's Marquetry in Leiden





















M.C. Escher's commission to decorate the town hall of leiden





No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to make comments and participate in making this blog valuable!